A Brief History of Palombo’s Restaurant
Top image: Zimber Inn circa 1930. Photo courtesy of the North Canton Heritage Society
The Zimber Inn
Early in the 1800s, Joseph Marchand’s daughter, Louis Marchand, married Joseph Zimber and the two set to running the Zimber Inn/Saloon. In the early 1900s, an ad was placed boasting “J.J. Timber’s Restaurant, Dealer in Sewer Pipe Supplies.” Although marketing may not have been Joseph Zimber’s strong hand, the Zimber Inn soon entered the pantheon of neighborhood gathering places, dining spots and watering holes for the people of New Berlin/North Canton and Jackson Township. Their daughter Olive (Zimber) Goodall eventually took over the Zimber Inn and ran it until she and her husband John retired to Florida, leaving the day-to-day operations to their twin daughters. In 1965, The Zimber Inn was sold to Ivan Cabassa
In 1979, Tony Palombo bought the Zimber Inn and changed the name to Palombo’s. Soon after, his wife, Beverly, quit her job and devoted her energies to the restaurant. With the help of their children, they went to work rebuilding and updating the kitchen, dining rooms and bar area to what it is today. Tony and Beverly’s vision, hard work, limitless good humor, kindness, recipes – as well as their friends and patrons – are the inspiration for all of us here at Palombo’s restaurant.